Andrew Sanders shares this homebrew recipe as an online extra to his article “Story Telling Through Beer” in the September/October 2022 issue of Zymurgy magazine. Sanders is cohost of the podcast Pop Culture Brews, a show that digs into pop culture and the beers that inspires it.
* * *
This homebrew recipe is inspired by Spinal Tap (1984) and is perfect for mockumentary and metalhead fans. This stout is roasty and weighs in at a hefty 11% (get it?), making it strong like Nigel Tufnel’s crushing riffs. And don’t worry. The dark roasted malts in this beer ensure that it can be none blacker (get it?!).
Find out more about the inspiration behind this cinematic homebrew recipe pair by listening to Pop Culture Brews on Spotify and other podcast streaming services.
- 19 lb (8.6 kg) Pale malt (2-row)
- 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Chocolate malt
- 2.5 lb (1.1 kg) Oats, flaked
- 1.5 lb (0.4 kg) Carapils
- 1.5 lb (0.4 kg) Roasted barley
- 1 oz (28 g) Columbus (CTZ) hops, 15% a.a. (60 min)
- 1 oz (28 g) Ahtanum hops, 6% a.a. (60 min)
- Whirlfloc (15 min)
- 6 oz (170 g) Cacao nibs (15 min)
- 3 pckgs English Ale (WLP002)
Yield: 6 US gal (22.7 L)
Original Gravity: 1.116
Final Gravity: 1.032
Conduct a 60 minute mash at 149°F (65°C). Mash out at 167°F (75°C) for 10 minutes. Ferment at 65° F (18°C) for 10 days.